Sunday, November 4, 2012

Kids

Ben playing with a friend in Vridi

I think he's receiving communication from the mother planet with those antenna

If your photographer won't frame you, frame yourself

Fun at the playground (too bad we have to pay to go)
We've had a busy month with new people coming to town.  It has been fun to meet new friends and start developing relationships.  Our chicken and fry Friday night has gotten a little busier.  Our kids are glad to have new "aunts" and "uncles" to play with.

I got to have a interesting new experience this month.  Because a friend lost her mother last month, I went to the village to support her in that loss.  It was my first village funeral, and I learned a lot about how that works.  Three of us from the mission hopped on a bus with about 37 of our closest friends (hee hee).  We headed out for a 7 hour drive dodging potholes with our horn loving bus driver.  He honked his horn for about 5 out of the 7 hours.   Upon arrival, we greeted the family and sat around under a tree drinking soda and juice next to a tent covering the casket.  After we'd been there a few minutes, random ladies came around the casket "singing" a word over and over that I couldn't understand.  Upon trying to ask about this song, my neighbor looked at me with that "are you crazy?" look, and said she's crying.  If only they gave away a dumb question award, I surely would have won that for the weekend.  There was an interesting little skit done as the "wake" started for the "audience" to discuss back and forth why we were all gathered.  As the night passed we danced and drank coffee and eventually the guests were allowed to sleep, since we had a journey home the next day and wouldn't be able to sleep.  It was around 2:30 when I turned in.  We were in a room of 5 women, with two beds (a twin and a double).  One of the ladies that turned in early got up at 5AM to do her quiet time, which a little lacking on the quiet.  Our ladies like to pray loud and sing as well.  I was a little less than joyful of her exuberance, but I repented later, so don't worry.  In the morning, we ate a breakfast of boiled root with hot sauce, which was very good.  I had a second breakfast of rice with skin sauce, yes skin.  My particular cow was one that had black spots, which only made the idea of eating the poor little Chick fila proponent harder.  After looking at my sauce for a good 15 minutes, I finally poked my neighbor and said, "So, I got a little more skin here than I can eat, would you like some?"  Thankfully she said yes and I passed my skin down the line! ;)  The cemetery scene was a tough one.  This particular group does a lot of wailing and throwing themselves down to show their grief and love for the departed, so an already hard day was a little tougher for this girl.  After the eventful day, we hopped back on the bus and headed home. 

Even with the sleep deprivation, it meant so much to my pastor's wife friend that I was very glad to have gone.    And speaking of sleep deprivation, I suppose I should hit the sack.

With love,
Heather

3 comments:

David Pope said...

wow ... just wow.

McAfees said...

I've never known you to be speechless, David. I hope it was a good speechless.

David Pope said...

You amaze me, that's all. Thanks for being so faithful to show God's love in Christ Jesus.