Thursday, November 29, 2012

Heather's Trip

Pyramids at Giza

I didn't get to ride a camel this time, but thought they were neat looking.

Sphinx at Giza

This lady showed us how to use papyrus to make paper.

We got to eat lunch on the Nile River.

This is a church that was blown out of the rocky mountainside.  This structure is not where the church is, but a pretty sculpture in front of the man made cave where the meet.

Pretty carvings were all around in the rock face.  I liked this one of the women at the empty tomb.

Here's where they meet.

This was another neat one of Jesus coming on the clouds.

This the citadel of Alexandria on the Mediterranean Sea.  We also went to the catacombs and the library at Alexandria.





In November, I went to a language conference and got to do a little sight seeing during the middle weekend.  I needed the training to be able to help those that we have coming here to learn French.  I even got to have a few tastes of home, while I was there.  My flight left a day later than the conference went, so I was able to eat in the food court a few times.  Let me just say that french fries and a fountain drink have never tasted so good, but Egyptian Subway, not so good.  I managed to snag a couple of bags of chocolate chips from a grocery store and 2 cans of cranberry sauce for our Thanksgiving celebration.  I was so sad to have to leave behind beautiful flats of strawberries!  I wanted to try to smuggle them in, but that would have meant packing my pillow instead of carrying it in my carry on and since I had to spend the night in an airport, I knew I'd need it.  Besides, if my strawberries had been confiscated on the way in, that would have been a worse trauma than never having had them!!!

I missed the family so much while I was gone.  I'm not used to being the one off at a conference while they are at home.  They had some hard times while I was gone with household things breaking and a string of armed robberies in our neighborhood.  Apparently word is out that this house has nothing worth stealing as they hit the neighbors house, but left Mike and the kids alone.  Of course with you all praying for the gang here, the protection could have easily been an army, of the Father's making, standing watch outside our gate.

I am very glad to be home. 

With love,
Heather

2 comments:

David Pope said...

HM ... my colleague is in Egypt right now and God is doing some AMAZING things among the people there. I have a video of a massive meeting of believers at the amphitheater you photographed where differing denominations came together for a night of praise. Cool stuff.

McAfees said...

It was a pretty neat place. It would have been fun to be there during a service.