Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Another Visit

Aunt Erin and Karis




My friend Viviane and her youngest son.

Erin and I with my friend Adiara

Ben and his new balaphone





Sylvi and her baby Ivan





We were very blessed to have another visit from family this month.  My younger sister, Erin, came to spend a couple of weeks with us.  My sister went out with me everywhere to meet my friends, learn about my city and see what I do.  Now when I talk about Vridi, Abobo, Viviane, Sylvi, Marie and storying groups, she'll know who, what and where I am talking about!

It has been a good start to the new year.  Some of you that have followed for a while will remember Christine that died last June.  Her daughter Sylvi had a baby boy a couple of weeks ago.  We are thankful for God's protection through what was a very high risk delivery.  Mom and baby are doing fine.  Sylvi's life as a single mom who is caring for not only her infant son, but another sibling still in high school and a niece still in elementary school in one of the poorest sections of town will be difficult.  Above all, I pray that she turns whole heartedly towards Jesus.

As you crazy Americans are anxiously awaiting your big football event, our city is going crazy with another kind of football fever.  The Africa Cup (soccer for those non sports people like me) is going strong.  Several of our neighboring countries and our own Cote d'Ivoire Elephants are in the semi finals.  It is hilarious to hear the entire city erupt over a goal and then the whole nation go nuts when they win.  Children and adults of all ages and colors run through the streets dancing and wearing flags and crazy wigs when they win.  Horns blare from all directions.  Noise makers and voices yelling go on for hours after the event.  Last year, a national holiday was called after a heart breaking loss in the championship, for the nation to mourn and figure out how to carry on with life. ;)

I know that some of you may be considering what mission trips you would like to do in 2013.  We would love to have you come our way.  If we can help you plan such a trip, just let us know.

With love,
Heather


No comments: