Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ticket Day

When we were in our orientation session before going overseas for the first time, we were told that it isn't unusual to have a "ticket day". A "ticket day" is a day when one says to themselves, "if only I had a ticket in my hand right now, I'd go home". We were told that we just need to hang in there and remember our calling and hope our spouse didn't have a "ticket day" on the same day!!! ;) I was thinking of that as I counted how many more days were left until our real ticket day when we will head back to our West African home. In less than two weeks, our feet will be on African soil again!

Knowing our time here in Vancouver would be short, although there have been moments that our departure seemed an eternity away, I determined to "be" here and "connect" here, but on a limited level. I planned to engage myself in our task here, but to hold people at arm's length. Our task as sent out ones requires that we get personally involved in the lives of nationals, pray for them and love them, but I figured I just needed to get along with the other sent out ones here. I mean, we're all going our separate ways soon, to work with the people we hold dear, so no need to get emotionally attached. Well, of course you can imagine that we work with really great people and so that desire drifted off somewhere and I've found people that are great kingdom workers, amazing partners in ministry, wonderful thinkers and strategizers and yes I love them!

So as we pack our bags and try to make up menus to use up supplies in the cabinets we are looking to more tearful goodbyes not just to nationals, but to co-laborers as well. SBs have amazing people on the field and if you are one, you should be proud to know that.

God bless you and keep you and make His face shine upon you!
Heather

1 comment:

Poppy said...

hi,
so nice to see your profile. we are a pentecostal family from india just moved in abidjan, can you please suggest a christian worship church in abidjan.