Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

I hope that many of you that read our blog are Dads. And to those of you that are, from the bottom of my heart, Happy Father's Day!!

God has blessed me tremendously with wonderful men in my life. Men that are truly storing up treasures in heaven. My own dad has loved me and encouraged me all of my life. He worked harder than most men will ever work to earn a living and take care of my family. To my small frame, he's always been a big man with big feelings. When my Daddy is happy he laughs in such a way as the whole room has no choice but to laugh too. My Dad loved us all in a big way too, from me the oldest down to the youngest. I'll never forget the day he told the whole church that my youngest brother had been born with tears of joy. Some people out there think four kids are a burden, but not my Dad. He'd tell you that each of his babies were a gift from God. I remember trips to the farm together and trying to wrap my little hand around his gigantic pinky as we walked through the field. I remember that he always reminded us that an education is very important and he backed that up with all sorts of spur of the moment spelling bees and research papers! I hated them then, but know that was because he loved me and wanted the best for and from me. He expected and exhibited a life devoted to God.

My father-in-law has also been a great spiritual influence in my life as one of my earliest remembered pastors. He taught me much of what I know about the Bible. He taught me how to share my faith and was the first to whom I shared a desire to "go into all the world and preach the gospel". He raised three men that he can be proud of today.

My grandfather has a special place in the heart of his first granddaughter! He's always been someone that I respected greatly and knew without doubt was a man of incredible integrity. He's always accepted a tag along to "share" in his work. He also is a part of so many memories that I hold dear. I can hear his deep bass belt out hymns that would make anyone cry and his voice praying will forever be with me. Grandpa, thank you for being a rich spiritual heritage for me and my children!

Lastly and with special importance, Happy Father's day to my kids' dad! You are a wonderful father and husband. Your obedience to be sent out is an example to us all. I love seeing you play with and spend time with your kids, as I know this will shape their hearts to become the kind of people God can use.

And so to all, may this day be a time of refreshing and renewal. If you are feeling unappreciated as a Dad, I hope you know today that your appreciation is just slow in coming, not absent. God bless you as you follow the example of our Heavenly Father!

Heather

No comments: