Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Misadventures

Those that have been following my ridiculous self for a while will remember that 2 years ago around Christmas, I had my first encounter with a pickpocketing ring that hauled off some of my hard earned cash.  Christmas in the big city always brings out the best and worst in humanity, so I had another round with the wrong side of the law this year too!

I had had a particularly hard day.  It had been a full day of homeschool, learning 3 stories in my spare time (which consists of basically memorizing around 15-25 verses of scripture per story), got the family lunch, went out and taught the 3 stories, fielded many difficult questions about who God is and what we have to do to please Him, taught one of the stories in Moore (which I struggle with for every word), handled a rowdy gang of women half of whom wished to have a loud discussion and the other half wished to study the Bible and pray.  I had gotten a call during my last group to let me know that a good friend that was deathly ill had been released from the hospital.  I had no details, but normally they don't let deathly ill people out of the hospital for their continued health.  I was really worried about her.  I was definitely feeling the weight of the day and I knew that I still had to get home and make supper for the family!  Traffic is a bear in the city during the holidays and arriving home without being killed or killing someone is hard work.  We'd made it nearly home, I was out with a female colleague that day.  Just when we'd nearly made it, disaster struck.

I was in bumper to bumper traffic waiting for a light and inching forward.  I spotted a well known trouble maker headed toward our truck.  He usually just aggravates people for money or tries to wash their windshield to make them feel like they should pay him.  I kept sight of him in my peripheral vision, but my main worry was the traffic and the light.  He slowed as he saw my vehicle and walked past too close.  I barely saw him reach up and slap my sideview mirror with his hand as he passed.  I fussed and said that guy hit my mirror, while my colleague  rolled down the window to flip it back out straight.  About that time, I see him sidle up to my window holding his shoulder.  OH BROTHER! was my first response.  I really thought he was going to be silly and beg money out of me pitifully.  My colleague wagged her finger at him and told him what he'd done was wrong and all of a sudden I saw the anger and hatred spark his eyes.  He tore around to her side and started a screaming match.  As soon as traffic began to move he went in front of our vehicle and blocked my path.  We stood there locked in a stare down with no way to move, other than run over the punk, which I did consider.  A crowd started to gather.  He spouted off that I hit him and he'd not move until I paid him.  In normal African fashion, a spokesman came to deliver his demand.  I retorted that HE hit my truck and HE should pay ME!  Finally the crowd pulled him out from in front of my vehicle and I took off.

This sounds like a fairly stupid incident, but I was pretty scared and fairly humiliated by what passersby that hadn't seen him hit my truck would think.  I was really afraid for a few days in that area as he and his gang are usually close.  He had murder in his eyes during the incident and I wasn't sure what exactly he might do if he had another chance.  Mike wanted to go back up there and "have a talk with him."  Our househelper was fit to be tied to go with Mike in case he needed help "talking".  I was certain that somebody would get hurt if that happened and begged them not to go.  For a few days as I rode around with Mike, I avoided the intersection, but to do so really makes it hard to get around.  Finally, on Christmas Eve, I headed back through, figuring I'd have to find out sooner or later what he intended to do to me.  I will have to admit that I had thoroughly outfitted my phones with all possible numbers I might need to call!  Sure enough, there he was.  It was my first time driving again after the problem and I drive straight up to him!!!  He saw my truck and ran toward it.  I plaster on a smile, check all of my escape routes and look right at him.  "Merry Christmas!" he says smiling sweetly.  "Merry Christmas to you" I echo.  I wave, he waves and walks off.  He didn't even beg for money, which would have been his usual routine.  Whew!  A Christmas miracle for sure.

Crazy times!  We'll hope I can manage to stay out of trouble next Christmas.
Heather

2 comments:

David Pope said...

soooooo .... Abidjan! What a testimony on the culture! He thought nothing of the encounter and obviously knew it was all a ruse. He is quite the actor, too.

I would still avoid the intersection, though he no longer sees you as the soft target (;-).

Oh, and STAY HOME ON CHRISTMAS!

Have a great new year ... hug the family!

McAfees said...

Hee hee! As if I could! Blessings to you and yours and give sweet Cindy a hug and kiss for me!