Sunday, September 4, 2011

Last Days of Summer


This little girl is practicing for when she grows up.

Her Dad is the one I mentioned that was lost in the bus accident. Her family seems to be doing OK but can use your prayers.

Wearing Mom's head cover!

Caleb's favorite spot.

Unpacked the slip n' slide

Soccer with the boys

New Hat

Where's the CAKE?!

If it weren't for the kids' school, it would be hard to remember that you all will be moving on towards fall soon. We live in a state of perpetual summer!

Mike and I are concentrating on a couple of areas of town right now with our ministry. I've spent a lot of time in Vridi due to the bus accident. I've made many new friends recently and am excited to see where those new relationships might go. Most of them seem to be women whose origins are from a neighboring country, Burkina. It was that local language that I learned and I am still quite the oddity because of that. I can do a little chit chat and when people first figure that out, women come out of the woodwork to see the white lady do a trick! I am hoping that some of these new relationships will bring new opportunities to share. So far, my success rate with Muslim women is a big zip, so pray for me as I try to explain the gospel. Women are more than willing to listen to me, but I have trouble helping them see what the gospel requires. Beyond that, their social status here is a bit precarious. For a Muslim wife to accept the gospel, she'd likely be divorced and sent packing without her kids. My access is to women, but for them to accept we need to also get to their husband.

I think everyone is getting used to being back in Africa. It feels like we've been here forever again instead of just arriving. We look forward to seeing what God will do here in Abidjan in the coming months.

Serving Him,
Heather

1 comment:

David Pope said...

You hang in there, sis ... you're a great missionary! Those ladies will forever be changed after having met you.