Friday, January 22, 2010

Just An Ordinary Day

I have had a lot of people ask me what a normal day for me is like. First answer of course is that normal went out the window a long time ago. Yesterday was one of those whacky days and I was in the middle of it getting irritated about it, then I decided to write about it instead.

I got up at the crack of dawn, not because I'm a good missionary and that's what good missionaries do, but because my sweet baby likes that hour of the day. A little later everybody else joined us and we ate breakfast and read the Bible. I threw a load of clothes in the wash (thank you to our merciful Father that knows I don't have the patience to wash clothes by hand!) and started washing the dishes. Now I was feeling pretty good about how the day was shaping up so far, I mean we read the Bible before noon for Pete's sake! Now let's see, "Pride goes before a ...", oh forget it. So Mike goes off to do language and run an errand and I start the kids in school. I get Benjamin down for a nap and he wakes up in 2 minutes. The dog starts barking incessantly. Both other kids are wanting immediate help with each of their school acitivities. So I get the baby who commences to cry for the next 3 hours unless I let him nurse constantly. Someone lets the dog in and I get a whiff of rotting frog carcass on her, so I send her back out! Of my two children still doing school, one suddenly can't spell 3 letter words, the other can't even write the first letter of a word without help.

I put the screaming baby in his bed. He's crying anyway, why not! I threaten the two older kids within an inch of their life that they'd better start applying themselves. I grab the dog who is again barking like a fool, and head off to wash her. So now I've got the dog all suds up, the baby's crying, I've got one kid hanging off of my leg saying "Mama, how do I spell, Benjamin is crying?", the other kid was smart enough to give Mom a little breathing room at this point and was attempting his grammar project solo. Fast forward a little while. How I got out of that mess is really a blur. I had collapsed in the living room into our stinky arm chair and I'm thinking to myself, just wait until Mike gets here and I'll run away!!! About then, I heard the gate which meant he was home. Ha! Wait until he sees this. Then I begin to realize the whole house is quiet. I look around and realize the baby has fallen asleep nursing, the oldest kid is reading quietly in a chair, the younger kid is correcting her math page by herself, and the dog is lying quietly on the rug smelling like a rose! Why me?

The rest of the day was much more boring, grocery store, language learning, buying veggies, meal prep, team meeting, bathing and putting to bed the baby and all of that stuff.

We've got some exciting days to come. Friends from here and there all over West Africa are headed here in the next month. Everybody is excited to see various people they love and miss. We hope to see you soon too! Come on over, we've always got an empty bed and a spot at the table for friends!

Love,
Heather

1 comment:

Mac Mom said...

Sounds like Africa is a lot like North Carolina to me....except for dead frog smells. I am not sure if I know what that smells like...I am pretty sure that I do not want to know.

The baby is getting so big!

Thanks for keeping us updated!