Monday, December 8, 2008

Tabaski

If you are reading this on December 8, today is the Muslim holiday of Tabaski. Our friends will be celebrating when God provided a subsititute sacrifice for the son of Abraham (although which son this story would be about is something we disagree about). All weekend we've watched huge rams in trucks, taxis and being led down the street on a rope. We've seen them tied to trees in courtyards and grazing peacefully in grassy patches. If they only knew what was to come, they could band together and form a revolt. I really think the number or rams to people here this week is pretty close to even. I'm thinking the big horns they have on their heads could really be the tipping point and they could take the city if they wanted to.

In all seriousness, please pray for us as we will all get opportunities today to give account for the hope within us. Many times we'll get openings to tell the story of Abraham and his son and how God sacrificed his own Son on our behalf. Pray that we make good use of that bridge today and that we follow through in the days to come.

We said goodbye to our good friends the Singermans today. They are on their way to the states to celebrate the holidays with family and for the wedding of their son. This morning I thought to myself, how many more goodbyes will we be asked to say? Some days it seems like that's all we do, but in reality the goodbyes mean that we've been able to say hello and get to know others that we've come to love. It means that we've been blessed immeasurably to have family and friends that we love dearly. It means that our families love us enough to call us and write us and come visit us. It means that instead of getting to see a missionary once a year at a missions conference and hear how they are fulfilling the great commission, that we've been allowed to join together with them, walk alongside them, laugh and love peoples we didn't know before. It means that my kids time with family will be that much more precious and that in between God's given them more aunts and uncles than they could ever imagine. It means that God has granted us the rich blessing of national friends. It means that God is showing us how to love freely and make the most of the time he's given us.

I'm coming to grips with the fact that my perspective has been forever altered by my time here in Cote d'Ivoire. For instance, in this culture if you are strolling down the street with a friend, you would very likely hold their hand. There's nothing that tells your dear friend that you think their great like chatting while linked. Grabbing someone's hand to run across a busy street is also very normal. Now I haven't had someone hold my hand to cross the street since I was a little kid, but now I find myself seeking the protection of being linked into a larger mass should someone decide to try to take me out with their taxi. It's the same principle I tell my kids. Always make sure you are going to make the biggest dent possible, then maybe they'll think twice about running you over. ;) Other random things like running to grab a glass of water when someone comes over is what I do without thinking or ask for permission to leave 30 minutes before I really need to knowing the first answer will be no. I don't think in terms of have I seen my friends this week or month, but have I seen them today knowing that if I haven't they'll ask me if I went on a trip. There are all sorts of weird verbal quirks I've picked up and imagine those will always be with me. I'm even getting used to the idea of a hot Christmas.

Well, thanks for taking this little trip into my crazy thoughts with me. I hope to post some pictures later of how I spent my day.

Love to all,
Heather

No comments: