Saturday, June 7, 2008

Sad Day!





I know that you probably already have heard of the passing of my friend, but I've felt the need to blog her story. Aissatou was a 32 year old widow with a 20 month old beautiful daughter. I met her in the first weeks I was here in Abidjan. We were instantly friends as she agreed to help me learn French. To start with, I visited her at her house at least once a week just for her to talk to me. Not long after that, her little daughter had wrapped me around her little finger and both Aissatou and Faridah were constant figures in our lives. Everyone that has visited us has met her, because she was so often here. When the kids or I were sick, she was here to say "Bon Guerison!", if we were absent for very long, she'd show up on the doorstep to say, "It's been two days!" We saw her anywhere from 3 times a week up to everyday.

Aissa got sick a few weeks ago. At first it was just some pain that she worked through. She even came over and cooked for our team. I encouraged her to go to the doctor from the start, but she didn't want to. By two weeks ago, she was so sick she couldn't get up and allowed me to take her to the hospital. A friend helped me pay for what she needed and she was released. She was never well again after that. We took her back later in the week, but she passed away at her own home Saturday of last week. I'd seen her just a few minutes before she died, but had no idea it would be the last time I saw her. The funeral was held the very same day.

Her little girl is with Aissatou's dad right now. They are trying to decide what to do with her. She most likely will not stay here across the street from us.

Aissatou's family is Muslim and her deceased husband's family is Catholic. Pray with us that somehow Faridah may someday accept Jesus as her Savior. Pray also that we'll have opportunities to share with her family. Aissatou had professed faith in Jesus some months ago and had been to church nearly every week since.

Thanks for sharing in my memories of a dear African sister.

No comments: