Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Year in a New Land

These are some pictures of our gathering on the 24th.
The new year is here and and we are getting back to our normal routines. We are still spending most of our time every day learning French. It is fun to actually be able to put some sentences together to make a mini conversation. Of course the listener has to be willing to do a little piecing together of incorrect structure and it helps if they are very good at playing charades too for when I get to words I don't know!
We've noticed some odd behavior already in our little MKs! As you'll see below, Koolaid has become a much cherished posession. Someone sent us some packets from the states and you've never seen two kids more excited about a packet that flavors water!
Life in Africa is life that is lived in community. The little church we've been attending wants us at all functions now. They seem to be enjoying having the white people at their church. Mike and Karis have joined the little dance group during our praise time twice now. I got invited last week to join, but they just don't know that this little Baptist white girl has two left feet!
Below also is my friend Asatou and the little girl with the drum is her daughter, Faritah. Her husband has died and she lives with her daughter with her father's family. She is a Muslim like many people here in Abidjan. She thinks that we worship the same God and how we worship him is just different. Please pray that I'll begin to know how to show her that Jesus is the only way. She came with us to church on Christmas and I visit her many times a week. She's very patient with my French and is anxious for me to finish French so that she can teach me Moore.
The new year in West Africa brings with it the necessity to bless all of our friends and acquaintances with wishes for them in the new year. Fortunately enough the same blessing can be used over and over. I can't imagine what I would have done if I needed to remember many different blessings. I wanted to bless all of you as I have our African friends. In the coming year we wish you much happiness, good health, prosperity, peace in your family, and the blessings of God on your life. Happy 2008!


No comments: