Tuesday, December 27, 2011

December Catch Up

I'm going to try to play a little bit of catch up in these next few days.  So much has happened and that I want you to know about.  My intention is to do it little by little so that you will understand. 


First I wanted to catch up on my little groups and some of what Mike has been up to.  Mike has begun storying with a family that has been a long term project not only of ours, but of many colleagues before us.  This is a family very tied to Islam with some of them having responsibilities in their local assembly.  The younger brother has long had contact with the mission as a guard, but was reassigned a couple of years ago to a different job.  We have kept in contact with him as we have frequently visited his home and invited his family to ours.  His situation in the family, as younger brother, keeps him from feeling like he can make a decision against family wishes.  I have storied with one of his sisters, but she moved away while we were in the states.  During our visits with them this year, it became apparent that this young man, Seidou, and his family were open to the stories.  Right now, they are all saying, "It's all the same thing and we serve the same God."  Pray with us as Mike teaches through the evangelistic stories that they will see God we serve is different from what they have learned and beyond that, the only way to find peace with God is through His Son Jesus!  Pray also that the younger brother will have the courage to follow Truth even if it is difficult.

Mike's been sharing with his "drinking buddies" too, tea drinking buddies that is!  He's been able to share with them some about our faith and tell the creation story.  Pray that he knows how he can best share with them.

I've been sharing with the same people in Vridi and my friend in Marcory.  Alima, my Muslim friend in Vridi, is still listening as we moved into the Jesus stories.  I was worried about her because she gave me a speech a few weeks ago about her being who and what she is and I need not think I'm going to change her.  She refused outright prayer, but is unopposed to a blessing placed on her as I leave.  The language barrier has increased as the wording of the Jesus stories is super important and there are often times quotes which are hard to share.  I can handle old testament stories in Moore as they seem to be easier, but every time I go now, I am stretching my language to the limits.  Her French is just not good enough to do more than chitchat in!  Distractions are also a serious problem.  She has a little one that is about 18 months old and since we are sitting out in the road, he needs to be watched carefully.  Also everyone that walks by is someone to talk to and often friends drop by just to chat for a few minutes.  I always wait for a good time to start the story and usually the first part goes alright.  Then as the story heats up distractions come by the truckload just like ants scenting out a picnic.  I tell you, Satan is fighting hard for her!

My mixed group including the young Catholic widow and a young married nominal Muslim is always interesting and challenging.  They ask such hard questions and I have to think so hard about the background of them both as I story and answer their questions.  The joyful part about Agira is that she seems to be seeking so strongly.  Among my favorite comments by her are "Pray for me that God will change me and make me a better person", "How can we have a restored relationship with God?", and "God's word is just so interesting."  She is pushing for the story as soon as I arrive and demands to hear a story if she's missed one.  Marie is also fun as she asks for the scripture references so that she can read and study when she has time.  She's also asking the hard questions and digging deep into the stories.

My last group in Vridi is in the courtyard of a lady that attends the Baptist church we visit frequently.  She had wanted to tag along with me to my other groups and I suggested we start one where she is.  She's got a ragtag bunch of ladies there from all kinds of different churches.  Knowing the theology of our local Baptist church I can only imagine what they hear in theirs.  They are almost all single mothers.  Some are widows, some were never married and some are living with men now.  They are listening well to the stories and some of them are sharing them with others.  Their group is always very loud.  They bossy and often times obnoxious, but God is working in their hearts.  He is also answering amazing prayers from that group.  They can swell to a group of more than 10 sometimes and almost all of them have seen God work in their lives in answer to prayers we've prayed as a group.  Several of them are retelling the stories to their friends and acquaintances. 

Aisha, my Marcory friend, is still listening too.  She seems to be whole heartedly interested.  I'm not sure what she'll decide at the end of the story set, but I can see God working in her heart.  She comes from an ethnicity that to be that group is to be Muslim.  It will be a hard choice if she chooses Jesus.  She seems to be leaning back into her old answers, such as, I just have to pray everyday and God will help me.  However, she is also quick to point out to me friends that she has seen a change in their behavior after having chosen to follow Jesus.  I'm just trusting Him to make it all clear to her.

We are also seeking to build relationships with pastors and their wives so that we can be and influence and a help to them.

That is what is going on from a ministry perspective.  We ask that you pray for these groups.  We know that not even our faith comes from ourselves, we ask that you'd pray that the Father draws these to Himself.

Stay tuned for more crazy stories and some pictures too!

With Love,
Heather

2 comments:

David Pope said...

It is so refreshing to hear from missy's that are working for His Kingdom. May God give you abundant fruit for His glory.

McAfees said...

I appreciate your kind words more than you know!